Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
“The mission of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity, protecting student-athlete welfare and fostering a positive student-athlete image.”
2016-17 GNAC SAAC Committee | 2015 SAAC Retreat Photo Gallery | 2014-15 SAAC Retreat Review | Division II SAAC Home Page
Update: SFU's Yewchin Named to NCAA National SAAC (June 4, 2015)
Feature Story: SMU Senior Spencer Dodd Named NCAA SAAC Vice Chair
The Great Northwest Athletic Conference Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is comprised of one representative from each institution and is assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience. The SAAC also offers input on the rules, regulations and policies that affect student-athletes' lives on NCAA member institution campuses.
NCAA legislation mandates that each NCAA conference has a conference SAAC in order to strengthen the communication among the campus and national committees. Through increased communication and networking, the SAACs hope to better present the views of all student-athletes.
Though the focus of campus SAACs is intended to be more parochial in nature, communication among campus, conference and national SAACs offers student-athletes the opportunity to shape the landscape of intercollegiate athletics.
Members of the GNAC SAAC hold a retreat on an annual basis to discuss conference-wide issues in addition to performing a service project in the community where the retreat is being held. The 2016 GNAC SAAC Retreat will be held in September in Billings, Montana, and is hosted by Montana State Billings.
Functions of the campus SAACs:
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
- Disseminate information.
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues.
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the campus athletics department during its formulation of policies.
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletic teams.
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA legislation.
- Organize community service efforts.
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees (e.g., student government).
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
Division II SAAC
The Division II SAAC consists of one student-athlete representative from each of the Division II multi-sport voting conferences, one student-athlete representative of Division II independent institutions, and two student-athlete at-large positions.
The Division II SAAC affects the legislative process via an annual summit held each July with the Division II Management Council, during which members of the SAAC have an opportunity to interact with members of the Management Council on proposed NCAA legislation and current Division II issues. Also, committee members participate in the NCAA Convention each January where they express the student-athlete voice on collective concerns regarding proposed Division II legislation.
Division II national SAAC members actively take the lead in addressing issues facing Division II student-athletes, such as the development of campus and conference SAACs, NCAA rules education, faculty/student-athlete relationships, and championship enhancements.
During the NCAA Convention, Division II SAAC members have an opportunity to speak to proposed legislation in front of the Division II membership.
Recent Stories on GNAC SAAC Reps / Community Outreach Initiatives
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Kendra Goodman (July 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Ivan Colmenero (July 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Lauren Swistak (July 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Megan Dettling (July 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Rio Frame (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SPU's Kary Whitney (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Cody Cooper (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Claudia Mathieu (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: UAA's Morgan Ross (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: CWU's Darren Arndt (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SPU's Lauren Glover (June 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Josh Panasuk (May, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Alex Baylak (May, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Janiel Olson (May, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: UAA's Jessica Pahkala (May, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Elizabeth Howard (May, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: CWU's Breanne Rowe (April 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SPU's Hannah Lemm (March, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Amanda Roark (February, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: WOU's Amanda Ditzhazy (February, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Rachel Vanstone (January, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: UAA's Katelynn Zanders (January, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: CWU's Kiah Jones (January, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: SPU's Becca Houk (January, 2016)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Cameron Lee (December, 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: NNU's Kate Cryderman (December, 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: UAA's Patricia Sprecher (December, 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: WOU's Sydney Azorr (November 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: CWU's Melanie Valdez (November 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Olivia Aguiar (October 2015)
- Central Washington Women's Soccer Team Raises Money For Wildfire Victims (Sept. 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: CWU's Drew Wallen (August 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: Alaska's Kryston McPhetres (August 2015)
- Saint Martin's Student-Athletes Promote Anti-Bullying Initiative (August 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Ryan Yewchin (August 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: WWU's Catherine Miles (August 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: CWU's Alexa Olague (August 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: Alaska's Nicole Bathe (August 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: Concordia's Carlos Ortiz (July 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: SMU's Grace Dyer (July 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: SFU's Cameron Proceviat (July 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: SPU's David Ferguson (June 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: WWU's Jordan Walley (June 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: UAA's Kevin Rooke (May 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: WOU's Nicole Anderson (May 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: NNU's Michael Gordon (May 2015)
- Saints Team Up with Boys & Girls Club of Thurston County (May 2015)
- SAAC Spotlight: MSUB's Aubrey Conceicao (April 2015)
- MSUB Women's Soccer Volunteers at Local Elementary School (March 2015)
- Nanook Volleyball Team Visits Local Schools (March 2015)
- MSUB Men's Soccer Kicks Off 'Be Brave and Shave' Fundraiser (March 2015)
- WOU Finalist for NCAA DII 'Award of Excellence' for Community Engagement (Dec. 2014)
- CWU Participating in Holiday Gift Project (Dec. 2014)
- Central Washington Men's Basketball Helps Out for the Holidays (Dec. 2014)
- SFU Student-Athletes Come Together in Support of Big Brothers (Dec. 2014)
- CWU Students Team Up to Help Ellensburg Student (Sept. 2014)
- SFU Women's Soccer Visits Central California Middle School (Sept. 2014)
- MSUB Soccer Adopts 6-Year-Old with Cancer through Team Impact (Sept. 2014)
- SMU Cross Country Does Cleanup Work on Local Beach (Aug. 2014)
- WWU Volleyball Assists Area Affected by Carlton Complex Fire (Aug. 2014)
- NNU Women's Basketball Makes Impact in Africa (July 2014)
- Nanooks Volleyball Heads to Nome for Youth Clinic (June 2014)
- CWU Student-Athletes Lend Hand for Local Fund-Raiser (May 2014)
- GNAC SAAC Holds First Meeting of 2014 at SFU (Jan, 2014)
- Western Washington Raises $10,315 In Relay For Life (May, 2013)
- GNAC SAAC Participates in Great Urban Race (May, 2013)
- UAF Women's Basketball Team Keeps Busy Off the Court (Dec., 2012)
- UAF Teddy Bear Toss Nets Toys For Santa's Clearing House (Dec., 2012)
- SFU SAAC Holds Food Drive For Make-A-Wish (Dec., 2012)
- Women's Soccer Coaches Educate Castle Rock's World of Work Students (Dec., 2012)
- Volleyball Out and About in Fairbanks Community (May, 2012)
- UAF Women's Basketball Cleans Up in the Community (May, 2012)
- UAF Hoop Players Read with Weller Elementary School (Feb., 2012)
- MSUB Women's Soccer Remains Active in Billings Community (Feb., 2012)
- MSUB Men's Basketball Spends Afternoon with Community Service Agency (Nov., 2011)
- MSUB Softball Team Helps Raise Money, Awareness through 'Heart Walk' (Sept., 2011)