Big First Half Run Lifts Seattle Pacific To Men's Semifinals
Gabe Colosimo led Seattle Pacific with 17 points, 12 of which came in the second half. Photo by Skip Hickey.
Gabe Colosimo led Seattle Pacific with 17 points, 12 of which came in the second half. Photo by Skip Hickey.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

ANCHORAGE – A 21-4 run over the first nine minutes of the first half provided Seattle Pacific the spark it needed Thursday as the No. 3 seeded Falcons knocked off the No. 5 seed and tournament host, Alaska Anchorage, 64-51 in the quarterfinals of the GNAC Men’s Basketball Championships at the Alaska Airlines Center.

The SPU held the Seawolves to just 7 of 28 from the field and 1 of 10 from three-point in the first half and held a 25-14 advantage in rebounding. The Falcons closed the night shooting 41.5 percent from the field.

With the win, Seattle Pacific advances to the semifinals on Friday at 2:15 p.m., where the Falcons will face No. 1 seed Western Oregon.

Sophomore guard Gabe Colosimo led Seattle Pacific with 17 points as he shot 5 of 10 from the field and 3 of 6 from three-point range. Hunter Eisenhower and Harry Cavell each scored 11 points while Nathan Streufert finished short of a double-double with eight points and 11 rebounds.

DJ Ursery scored a career-high 24 points to lead Alaska Anchorage as he shot 9 of 19 from the field. Malik Clements added 11 points.

Seattle Pacific improved to 17-11 with the win while Alaska Anchorage ends its season at 15-14.

The Falcons opened the contest by scoring the first seven points, going up 7-0 on Colosimo’s three-pointer and 13-2 on Eisenhower’s three-pointer five minutes in. Seattle Pacific built a 17-point advantage, 21-4, on Trey Miller’s lay-in at the 10:36 mark.

After a three-minute scoring drought for both teams, the Seawolves scrambled back to within 14 points on Clements’ three-pointer with 6:42 left. Ursery brought UAA within 25-13 on a lay-in with 3:14 left and hit another with 1:21 to go as the Falcons went into the locker with a 27-17 lead.

Seattle Pacific opened the second half with an 11-2 run, which culminated on Cavell’s lay-up at the 15:06 mark that made the lead 40-19. The advantage hovered around the 20-point mark until three free throws by Clements started a 10-2 run that brought the Seawolves within 10 points, 53-43, with 4:25 left. Ursery would cut the lead to nine points with a pair of free throws with just over a minute left, but would come no closer.